In the height of summer, with temperatures soaring, the last thing you will want to be eating is a hot and heavy meal. It is important to try and stay as cool and relaxed as possible. So, here is a collection of light and refreshing summer recipes that you can try and taste to beat the heat.
Courgette and Olive Gazpacho
By far a Spanish summer staple, this refreshing courgette and olive gazpacho is easy to make, super healthy, and delicious! It’s usually served as an appetizer or even a drink.
- 1 kg of courgette
- 50 g of green pepper
- 50 g of sweet spring onion
- 50 g of stoneless green olives
- 1 garlic clove
- 80 ml. Extra virgin olive oil
- 20 ml. Wine vinegar
- Half a teaspoon of salt
- 250 ml. Water
- Peel the garlic, spring onion and courgettes.
- Grind all the ingredients together, except the water, which we will incorporate at the end.
- Add salt and vinegar to taste. And then add the water until you get the texture you want.
- Leave it in the fridge and take out when it is cold accompanied by some olives!
- Finally, add some croutons or sesame seeds on the top serve.
Another take on a classic Spanish dish, this inspired Olive Salmorejo is ideal to combat the summer heat. Next time you’re in southern Spain, especially Córdoba, you have to try a bowl of their creamy salmorejo. But until then, enjoy it at home with our olive salmorejo recipe!
- 200g stoneless olives
- 8 tablespoons of water
- 8 tablespoons of the brine of olives
- 1 cup of bread crumbs
- 4 tablespoons of olive oil
- Hard boiled eggs
- Serrano ham
- First, cook the eggs. You need one per person. Place them in a pan and make sure that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a moderate heat until the water boils. Once the water is boiling, set a timer for 10 minutes. Drain and cool under the tap. Peel them and save them for later.
- While the eggs are cooking, place the breadcrumbs in the water to soak.
- Then put the olives with the brine in the blender and whisk until you get a cream.
- Add the breadcrumbs and whisk again until they are mixed together
- If a lighter consistency is desired, add more water.
- Once the mixture is completely mixed, incorporate the oil to emulsify the mixture.
- Pour the olive salmorejo into a jug and leave to rest in the fridge until served.
- Present the dish with a chopped hard-boiled egg and the diced ham on top, served cold.
- To give it a more powerful flavor at the end, you could add two tablespoons of sherry vinegar
Mediteranean Salad with avocado, tomato, cheese and olives
This fresh and vibrant summer salad recipe is perfect for al fresco dining to add to your BBQs in the evening or a healthy summer time lunch!
- 1 Avocado
- Cherry tomatoes
- Cured Cheese
- Black Olives
- Cut the tomatoes and olives into halves, and the cheese into small slices
- Split the avocado, take out the stone and peel the skin off. Then cut into small pieces
- Once you have cut all the ingredients up, place them on a plate all together
- Season to taste with salt, olive oil and vinegar
This is a refreshing summer salad owith origin in Mallorca. Combining these fresh and organic ingredients guarantees a delicious and mouth-watering result. This salad is perfect accompanied by bread and olives.
- 5 tomatoes, diced
- 6 small green peppers, cored and diced
- 1 onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons of Extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt of salt
- Olives from Spain of your choice
- Bread to accompany
- Wash and prepare all the ingredients as described in the ingredients list
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, peppers, onion and olives
- Mix together with the olive oil and salt to taste until everything is incorporated
- Serve with some bread or keep in the fridge for/up to a few days.
As you can see, these recipes are super easy and quick to make at home. This is a reason why they are perfect for those days when you don’t know what to have for lunch or those other occasions when you don’t have much time to cook. We can assure you they are truly tasty. But what is more important, is that they are very refreshing, and thus will help you to beat the heat of summer days.